Thursday 21 March 2013

Busy Winter!

Busy Winter!





Although we haven't been racing throughout the winter, we have still managed to keep ourselves extremely busy throughout the winter! Together as a team we have worked very hard to put together our 2013 program to compete in British GT and the European Le Mans Series and with just one week until the first round, it's all starting to feel very real! 


Alongside season preparations, I have been working hard for a young driver who I mentor and coach, Cameron Twynham (not related to Joe) and shall be helping him throughout the whole season in the European Open Formula 3 Championship.


I first worked with Cameron in October 2012, in the Formula Renault BARC Championship where he was competing with SWB Motorsport. He was massively inexperienced compared to his competitors having done a very limited amount of karting and only one season in Formula BMW, yet he was still strong amongst the rest of the field. I could see areas that he could certainly improve on to take some big steps forward so we worked extremely hard throughout the winter on his fitness, mental preparation and simulator work which resulted in a podium at his first race, a result he thoroughly deserved! The first round of his main championship will take place at Paul Ricard on 28th April! 



As you may, or may not already know, golf takes up a lot of my time all year round! I have been putting a lot of work into my game throughout the winter with countless freezing cold hours on the driving range and the waterproofs have been used an awful lot out on course! My current handicap is 8 and on it's way down but just like motorsport the closer you get, the harder it is to improve and the more hours of practice you need to invest! The main reason I chose to take up the sport, was to train my mind for motor racing as golf is certainly the most mentally challenging sport in the world. There is never anyone or anything else to blame, you are totally on your own and your result will solely depend on how you play. 





So besides my golf, coaching and of course working hard to secure my drive for the 2013 season, most of my time has been taken up by training. I decided in the middle of the 2012 season that by the first race this year, I want to be fitter and stronger than I ever have been. However, putting these hours in solely at a gym can be extremely tedious so I decided to take up cycling, which is where I do he majority of my cardio training! I set myself a challenge and on the 3rd May 2013, I shall cycle 400km in 48hrs in aid of The Halow Project, a charity set up to support young people with learning disabilities.  To sponsor my ride and support this charity, please visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/olliemillroy

OM

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment